Last Thursday, I posted one of the paintings I did in my watercolor class (KD Allegri Art).
We were focusing on the human figure (with a theme of Africa) and I had time to do a second painting. I had a reference photo (from the Morguefile) of a group of women dressed in black and white clothing that was adorned with patterns. Instead of going for color, I decided to do a monochromatic painting (well, I actually used two colors-Gamboge for the background, and the rest was a mix of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna, but I used different combinations of the two colors to get some variation).
I did very little shading on the dresses, letting the patterns define their shape.